Me (Manga)

eddyfate


Eddy Webb's Original Blog

For the latest, go to eddyfate.com


Entries by tag: wordcount

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Zokutou word meter
16,445 / 16,445
(100.0%)


The first draft is done. I'm under, but the 20,000 word limit was an approximate target. Still, that means that when I go through to revise, I can comfortably expand on areas that might need it (since I went back and did a lot of rewriting while in the process of writing, I might have inadvertently skimped). I'm planning to let it sit for a day or two, then revise, then send out to a couple of first readers for their input, then revise again and send off for editing.

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
15,239 / 20,000
(76.2%)

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
13,436 / 20,000
(67.2%)


Another ~1,000 words. While it still took me an act of will to sit down and write, this set went a little easier this time. Once again, I have to remind myself that writing every day is easier than writing every now and then.

[Writing] Mage LARP and Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Most of the past few days have been working on the Origins LARP: skeleton, giving assignments to people, fleshing out I need and what I'd like in my head, and putting some stakes in the ground. it really helped to just sit down and put all of the things splashing around in my head for the past couple of months into motion. I've already got a pretty good idea of what I need and by when, although there's a few parts I'm still a little fuzzy on. That's why I have a group of good people to help me out, and I'm damned thankful for them.

Since today I had some time and I'm feeling a bit better, I juggled a bit more LARP work with some actual wordcount on Digital Dirge. It's only a thousand words, but once again it's a case of building the car as I'm driving it; I had to reread some previous work and tweak it to match what I had in mind for the next section, as well as refresh my memory on where I was planning to go. I'm envisioning six more major chunks (each at about a thousand words) before I do my second draft, so I'm hoping to have the first draft done by the end of this week. Barring catastrophe or further illness, that should be a plausible deadline.

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
12,535 / 20,000
(62.7%)

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Me (Manga)
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
11,454 / 20,000
(57.3%)

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
10,732 / 20,000
(53.7%)


It feels like for every thousand words I put down, I end up cutting 500 back out. Today, after some solid progress in the past couple of days, I ended up cutting one chunk out entirely because I realized that it just wasn't necessary to what I was trying to do. I do feel like everytime I do this the whole manuscript takes more focus and comes to life for me, but this is the first time I've really developed something as I was writing it. It's a new experience, and as a result the whole thing is just taking more time than usual.

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
9,329 / 20,000
(46.6%)

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
8,276 / 20,000
(41.4%)


Ended up going back and trimming down a section that was repetitive. Normally I try to avoid that kind of in-draft editing, but in this case it was blocking me from finishing up a different section. Not entirely sure I'll hit 20,000 words, but since that's more of a guideline than a benchmark, I'm not terribly worried -- it just provides a nice goal.

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Writer
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
7,342 / 20,000
(36.7%)


It's a very strange day when Grand Theft Auto inspires your work.

[Writing] Digital Dirge Wordcount
Game Design
eddyfate
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
3,292 / 20,000
(16.5%)


Again, I'm still at the stage of nailing down the skeleton. I figured out one vector, but the other one just wasn't working out right for some reason, and I spent the past couple of days just thinking about it and kind of avoiding any serious writing on it. I finally talked it over with greebotrill, and she pointed out that I needed a third vector to make it all hang together. We discussed ideas, and after hastily jotting down some notes it all clicked into place. I discarded chunks of my original idea, and rearranged some other pieces to accommodate the third vector. Now I'm going to sit on it for a while and see how that gels in my head - I have a Mage LARP to run tomorrow, and Monday is editing for draft three of MET: Awakening, so I'll have a few days to let it sit in the back of my head before I come back to it and start fleshing out details.

You are viewing eddyfate